All members of all ensembles who would like to appear as soloists with the MRYO during the next season are invited to participate. For this competition, you will be expected to prepare with your teacher and to play one movement of either a concerto or a one-movement piece for solo instrument and orchestra. If you are not sure that the piece you have chosen qualifies for the competition, please do hesitate to ask Jean and she will be happy to guide you! There are three categories: one for each ensemble.
- The competition will be in the style of an open masterclass (that means open to parents and the public). The winner(s) will be announced at the end of each category.
- The judges will choose one winner per ensemble, with up to two runners-up.
- The winners must be members of the orchestra in the season during which they perform their solo. That is to say that if you win this year, you must be a member of the MRYO next year in order to perform your solo.
- Competitors may enter as a soloist or as part of a duo.
- You should bring your own accompanist, but Jean can provide you with some names of pianists should you need them.
- The fee of $30 must be paid at the time of registration.